Here is the winning recipe for the pie Molly and I (a.k.a Team Peace o’ Pie) created for SF Food Wars 2011 Pie or Die competition. Note that I’m not at liberty to share the techniques behind the secret pie crust recipe. But I will list the ingredients: unsalted butter, water, salt, all purpose flour. We don’t use lard. I recommend using your favorite flaky 100% butter pie recipe.
Lemon Shaker Pie with a Sugary Dusting of Violet Petals & Zest
This pie has a double crust (top and bottom). Before you lay your top crust atop the pie, be sure to cut out 4 vents (narrow long slits).
Pre-heat oven to 400-degrees.
- 3 lemons
- 1-1/2 cups of sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup of flour
- 2 tablespoons of softened butter
- 1/3 cups of water
- 1/3 cup of lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- Line a pie pan with your favorite all butter pie dough (again, apologies, but Peace o’ Pie’s dough recipe is a closely guarded secret). Prepare another pie dough round for the top and pre-cut 4 vents for steam to escape.
- Zest the 3 lemons and set aside.
- Remove peel and white pith from one lemon, section and set the lemon sections aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar cinnamon and salt. Add the water/lemon juice combo, and eggs. Whisk in the lemon zest and lemon sections. Stir in softened butter.
- Pour mixture into a pastry lined pie pan. Lightly brush the outside edges of the bottom crust with egg wash. Place the other dough round on top and seal the edges. Create a nice flute all along the outside edge. Brush the top and out side fluted edge of the crust with egg wash. You really want to make sure your edges are sealed. You don’t want a leaky pie!
- Lightly sprinkle the top of the pie with about a teaspoon of sugar.
- Back directly on the oven rack for 45 minutes. If you are concerned about spills, place a piece of foil or baking sheet on the rack below. Metal pie pans are best.
- Once the pie has cooled completely, sprinkle sugary petal dust and more lemon zest on top and serve!
- 1/2 teaspoon of African Violet Petal Dust (find this at cake specialty or candy making shops). A little goes a long way!
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- Zest from four lemons
- Mix together and spread on parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Let dry for 24 hours (zest needs to dry out a bit).
- Keep in sealed container.